and skin cancer!!
Hello May and Welcome National Skin Cancer Awareness Month!
I love this month because I am passionate about using and educating on the importance of SPF and preventing premature aging and cancer!
With 5.4 million cases in more than 3.3 million people diagnosed annually, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. This common cancer is also one of the most avoidable. Here are some tips, tricks, and products to keep you and your skin healthy, young, and cancer free!
First, let me show you some of my favorite SPF products. I like to include more than just Eminence brand so that you can easily find some when you are in a pinch or traveling.
Body Sun Care
- Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Body Sunscreen SPF 32 uses natural defenses of zinc and herbal ingredients in this organic sun screen that blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- SuperGoop! is a great brand that infuses skin care into sun care. A couple of SPF body products I have enjoyed are the Sun-defying Sunscreen Oil with Meadowfoam and Forever Young Hand Cream with Sea Buckthorn SPF 40. You can find Supergoop! most of the time at Sephora, Dillards, Ulta, and I believe Target.
- Pacifica is a natural , 100% vegan, and cruelty free beauty brand. During the month of May, I plan on trying out a few of their SPF products. It has still been cold in Oklahoma so I haven't got to really test them yet! I will be testing the Mineral SPF Body Butter, Mineral Bronzing Sunscreen (a spray), and After Sun Body Spray all in the Pineapple Flower flavor. (scent, fragrance, whatever.) They have SUPER cute packaging too, btw. You can find this brand at Sprouts and Target.
Face Sun Care
- A few SPF face products from Eminence that are good for just about all skin types and are my most popular in spa. The Tropical Vanilla Day Cream is infused with zinc, hydrating shea butter and the fragrant aroma of vanilla makes it smell nothing like sunscreen. Then there's the Vanilla Latte Tinted Moisturizer SPF 25 that is antioxidant-rich, non-clogging and offers lightweight sheer coverage, natural finish with zinc. This is for lighter skin tones. I love to top this with an SPF powder. Sun Defense Minerals SPF 30 are hypoallergenic, non pore clogging natural minerals that provide water-resistant SPF 30 sun protection to women and men alike. There is a translucent for all skin tones and I like to use the lightest color No. 1 Honey Apple. -Quick tip: Set your defense minerals with your favorite Eminence Organics toner mist!
- Dont forget your lips! I love Eminence Organics Rosehip & Lemongrass SPF Lip Balm
- Another great tinted SPF face cream is the Origins GinZing Energy Boosting Tinted Moisturizer SPF 40. It feels good, it smells good, and it looks amazing and blends so well into the skin. This can be found at Sephora, some Ultas, Dillards, and Origins stand alone stores.
- Another SPF powder option is the Derma-E Sun Protection Mineral Powder. This translucent non-nano mineral powder can be worn on its own or over makeup, helps soak up excess oil, and is chalk full of antioxidants. This is easy to carry with you and easy to reapply.
- I have a couple of SPF face mists that a lot of my clients enjoy as well. Supergoop! has a antioxidant SPF face mist called Defense Refresh Setting Mist. This can be found at Sephora, Ulta, or some Dillards as well. I have also been loving the Zinc It Over Sunscreen Facial Mist also full of antioxidants and skin loving ingredients. Can be found online. Both of these can be worn alone or set over makeup and can be easily reapplied without messing up your makeup. I like to use the spray for my neck and ears, can't forget those!
- Eminence has their Rosehip & Lemongrass Soothing Hydrator that is amazing and can be used on the face AND body. Its nice and light and helps relieve dryness and cools down sun burnt skin.
- I will be testing out the Pacifica brand After Sun Body Spray this month.
- Hempz has an amazing after sun care product. The After Sun Cooling Gel & Body Hydrator feels so good after a long day in the sun. Using aloe along with hemp seed oil, your skin will heal nicely.
- Some good ole all organic pure aloe gel from your natural grocers should always do the trick too. I go for the pure stuff because we do not need all that alcohol that a lot of drug store aloe vera brands tend to have. Your skin is worth splurging on the good (real) stuff.
Be Sure to check out my Instagram where I will do most of my product reviews. @Sweetescapeskincare
Watch for my thoughts on the Pacifca SPF products!
Please stay informed and be aware of the sun and it's damaging affects.
Using a sunscreen DAILY is important. Its not just for when your at the beach or pool. Use an SPF on your face throughout all seasons. The suns rays can still go through clouds and windows causing damage while you drive and during the cold seasons. As we age, collagen and elastin fibers of the skin naturally weaken. This weakening happens at a much faster rate when the skin is frequently exposed to UV rays. So, take the time to find a good SPF for yourself and your loved ones. Your future skin will thank you for it.
"People who use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher DAILY show 24% less skin aging than those who do not use sunscreen daily."
Here's a few other helpful tips on how to protect your self in the future from harmful UV rays all year long.
- Know when to seek shade. The sun's rays are strongest between 10 AM and 4 PM. Umbrellas are not just for rain and can be great for sun protection. Seek shade with trees or buildings.
- Cover up. Hats, sunglasses, and sunscreens. Longer, light shirts in the summer if you can. -Quick Tip: Worried about those lines between your eyes? Sunglasses help a lot! you don't have to squint from the brightness of the sun, keeping those muscles around your eyes relaxed. Plus, prevents UV rays from causing more aging around the eyes.
- Apply sunscreen the right way. Apply 30 minutes before your go outside to make sure its soaked in. RE-APPLY every 2 hours at least or more often if you are sweating or swimming. -Quick Tip: Get a good hand cream with SPF to leave in your car to cover your hands and arms during long drives.(*Supergoop!)
- Know your products and medications. There are certain products topical and medicinal that can cause your skin to be more sensitive to the sun.
- Avoid too much exfoliation. The skin is much more vulnerable and sensitive after a strong exfoliating treatment. Its very important to baby your skin after such treatments as to not cause more damage.
- Aloe, Aloe, Aloe. Even if you don't get a sunburn, slathering on some aloe after being in the sun can help keep your skin calm, moisturized, and young.
- Avoid tanning beds. There is no safe way to tan.
- Give yourself skin exams and check for funky or discolored moles or ask your esthetician to keep an eye.
So, I encourage you to wear an SPF Every Dang Day!
I hope these suggestions have helped and be sure to check me out on Instagram for more product reviews, updates, cat pictures, and more sun care tips and advice.
Welcome sunshine and summer! Stay protected and thanks for reading!
Have a Sweet Day!